SUMMARY: Printcap entry for a HP JetDirect EX box

From: <joe_at_resptk.bhp.com.au>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 96 09:27:33 +1100

Hi all,

Thanks to all who responded to my question:

David Warren <warren_at_atmos.washington.edu>
Rick Muse <m6u_at_oaunx1.ctd.ornl.gov>
Antti Yli-Rantala <yrantti_at_outokumpu.fi>
sarasin_at_yosemite.cop.dec.com
Gordon Smith <gordon_at_midden.une.edu.au>
golden_at_falcon.invincible.com
Sheila Hollenbaugh <shollen_at_valhalla.cs.wright.edu>
Charles_Johnson_at_ncsu.edu
ron_barrett_at_corp.cubic.com
msdc!daleb_at_uunet.uu.net (William D. Blasingame)
behrooz_at_rudolf.nscl.msu.edu (kevin behrooz)

> Ive aquired a HP JetDirect EX - External Network Interface to sit on the
> network. There is no specific software availbale to be used to configure it
> for Digital Unix. The software is available for SunOs & HP-UX systems, though
> it is not impossible to do it under DU. Ive managed to get the box acquire its
> IP address through BOOTP using the following bootptab entry:

> Ive attached a HP LaserJet 4MP printer to the box, but do not know the correct
> printcap entry to use, specifically the 'rp' option.

The answer I was after gives me the following 'rp' options:

raw - pass through
text - ascii text
ps - postscript

Browsing the HP web page, I discovered the JetDirect box I have does not support
'lpd' so the printcap entry would not work anyway. I need to get a Flash Rom
to download the required firmware so it understands 'lpd'. I hope I do not need
the above mentioned software to download the firmware onto the rom, if so I
could try converting it using Freeport Express. If that fails it looks like the
box may go into the bin, hope it doesnt get to that.

Thanks to all who helped.
Joe