SUMMARY: RZ29 in BA353??

From: Kees Bol - Landbouwuniversiteit, Afd. I&D <Kees.Bol_at_RCL.WAU.NL>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 1996 10:37:27 +0000 (GMT)

First of all I want to thank all who replied so fast on my question.

ORIGINAL QUESTION:
  I have a BA353-AX desktop expansion Unit, bought in '94, with 2 RZ28's.
  Is it possible to add a RZ29 to this box??

From: rockwell_at_rch.dec.com

No. The BA353 doesn't have the heat dissipation capability to house the RZ29's
or any 7200 RPM drive.

There are new StorageWorks deskside mini-tower enclosures that will handle
the RZ29's.
From: alan_at_nabeth.cxo.dec.com

It would be unwise to do so. The RZ29 (and most other 7200 rpm
disks) runs hotter than previous disks. The BA353 was not
designed to handle that much heat. The disk could very easily
overheat.
From: maillard_at_atyisa.enet.dec.com

No. The RZ29 is too hot for the BA353. Only the most recent versions of the
BA350 and 356 are allowed to receive RZ29s (they have BIG fans)
From: arrigo_at_lpac.ac.uk

Only if you have the correct fan upgrade and the correct power
supply. Check carefully with DEC that they will support your box with
RZ29's installed. It sounds absolutely ridiculous but I nearly had my
maintenance contract voided by not having upgraded the fans in my
BA-350 chassis. It is very important as the RZ29s spin faster
(>7000rpm) and require more juice. You might also need a backplane
upgrade.

Strong, reiterated, suggestion: check with DEC _first_ and ignore
people who tell you it's ok, it _isn't_, and might void your
maintenance contract.

From: john_at_WPI.EDU

As I remember, you cannot put RZ29s into this expansion unit because
of heat problems. There might be a fan upgrade you can get to make it
work though. Look through the archives for this list:

        http://www-archive.stanford.edu/lists/mlists_new.html
From: huhman_at_rg.deere.com

I believe the official response would be that the ba353 doesn't have enough
cooling capacity for an RZ29, however I have run them successfully for over
a year, although in a climate controlled computer room environment.