CHROOTing user logins

From: Andrew C. Saylor <asaylor_at_alpha.comsource.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 1996 08:28:34 -0600 (CST)

Hi all,
   I have an interesting question for everyone. We are looking at various
was of protecting our Alpha 2100 from users telneting in without actually
forbidding telnet. Someone suggested that we modify the /etc/profile to
detect which group the user telneting in belongs to and then execute a
'chroot' to the /usr/home directory (where all our accounts live). If the
user belonged to, say a "staff" group, the command would not be executed,
if the user belonged to the "users" group, it would.

The macine IS running C2 but some of our customers are still worried
about people viewing /etc/passwd, copying binaries, etc...

My question to everyone: has anyone tried this? Will it work or are we
just getting into a wild goose chase. I welcome any comments, suggestions,
whatever.

Thanks All.
|0|-------------------------------------------------------------------|0|
|0| | |0|
|0| Andrew C. Saylor |"Ray, if an evil spirit asks |0|
|0| asaylor_at_comsource.net | you if you are a god... |0|
|0| ComSource | |0|
|0| 101 Plaza East Blvd. Suite 316 | ...you say *YES!* |0|
|0| Evansville, Indiana 47715 | |0|
|0| | |0|
|0| Phone: (812)469-0308 | |0|
|0| Page: (812)433-8555 | -Ghostbusters II |0|