SUMMARY - dead alpha

From: John Richards <john_at_zyqad.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 96 10:32:09 +0000

My original query was regarding a dead alpha that did not see its SCSI disk and
so could not boot. I also sent an addendum requesting info about usinfg bootp
and tftp without needed the DEC RIS stuff.

Most of the replies said that it sounded more like the cable than the disk as I
could occasionally get it to boot by fiddling with the cables.

The most useful info was from Garrett who pointed out that we have a 1 year
warranty on the machine. I checked with the VAR and they confirmed this and
gave me the number at DEC to phone. I reported the problem and we had a techie
on site the next day.

The problem was in the disk controller, and as this is built into the
motherboard on these machines a new motherboard was obtained and installed. It
has now been running smoothly again for 48 hours.

Todd: Thanks for the info but I don't think I'll bother now as I don't need to.

Thanks to the following:

Tim Llewellyn
Ed Jones
Alan Oborne
Garrett Van Siclen
Dave Newbold
alan_at_nabeth.cxo.dec.com
Todd Kover

Bye

John
(Play Violin & Ride Bike - but not at the same time)
John Richards * email : john_at_zyqad.co.uk
Zyqad Ltd, *
Suite 25, GPT Business Park, *
Technology Drive, Beeston * tel : 44 (0)115 922 0820
NOTTINGHAM. NG9 2ND. * fax : 44 (0)115 967 8374