SUMMARY: Read any good books lately

From: Brad Wilkin <wilkin_at_lclark.edu>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 1996 11:15:42 -0800 (PST)

Well, the people have spoken!

Thanks to all who responded (noted below). Believe it or not, I _don't_
have this book yet. I have come up through the database side of the shop
and all my books are DB related.

Thanks again,

Brad

The overwhelming response was summarized well by Phil Rand:

        Unix System Administration Handbook, 2nd edition
        by Nemeth, Snyder, Seebass, and Hein
        Prentice Hall
        ISBN 0-13-151051-7

Comes with a CD-ROM of recommended free sysadmin tools, but if you have a
fast Internet link, you'll probably not need it.

On the bandwagon:
-------
"Nancy J. Young" <young_at_nuc006.psc.sc.edu>
Arlene <heap_at_tcd.net>
Barb Baker <baker.barb_at_tchden.org>
"William D. Blasingame" <msdc!daleb_at_uunet.uu.net>
If you have the first edition (the "yellow one"), then you really need to
grab
the second edition (the "red one") which includes info specific to OSF/1.
-------
Also worth noting:

From: Bob Haskins <haskins_at_myapc.com>
In general, the O'Reilly series of books are magnificent if you deal with
Unix. Books that in 6 years of system administration I cannot do without
would be as follows (ORA=O'Reilly & Associates):

1) sed & awk, Dale Dougherty
   ORA, ISBN 0-937175-59-5
2) System Performance Tuning, Mike Loukides
   ORA, ISBN 0-937175-60-9
3) Essential System Administration, AEleen Frisch
   ORA, ISBN 0-937175-80-3
4) Exploring Expect, Don Libes
   ORA, ISBN 1-56592-090-2
5) Unix System Administration Handbook, Evi Nemeth et al
   Prentice Hall, ISBN 0-13-151051-7

Brad Wilkin Lewis & Clark College
Database/Systems Administrator Information Systems
Internet: wilkin_at_lclark.edu Information Technology Division