Returned mail (fwd)

From: Maximilian C. Fernandes <madmax_at_minerva.ufpel.tche.br>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 1996 12:09:17 -0200 (EDT)

attached mail follows:

  Hello again managers,
 Well, somebody asked me to summarize it, so here it goes..
 Oh! By the way..I need another help, I am looking for Listproc ou
Majordomo to OSF/1 3.2. I installed a version of Listproc, but
unfortanlly, it did not compiled, so, where can I get the last version or
a specific version for OSF/1??
 Again, many thanks in advance, and here is the summary.

Thanks to:
Larry Griffith <larry_at_garfield.wsc.mass.edu>
Peter Stern <peter_at_wiscpa.weizmann.ac.il>
Christophe Colle <colle_at_krtkg1.rug.ac.be>
Jack Burton <jackb_at_pgw.picker.com>
David Metsky <metsky_at_zk3.dec.com>
phjessen_at_bk.dk
Murat Balci <balci_at_bornova.ege.edu.tr>
Tom Blinn <tpb_at_zk3.dec.com>

 All of them above, recommended man vacation.

Mike Austin <maustin_at_mole.uvm.edu> recommended:

> The Vacation program is useful for letting people know that
>you're temporarily gone or that you have a new e-mail address that they
>should be using. When set up correctly, you will receive the sender's
>message and they will receive a "canned" message.
>
> To set up Vacation for your account: First, using your favorite
>unix editor (pico, emacs, vi, etc), create and edit the file
>'.vacation.msg'. This is the text users will receive in the "canned"
>message. Do this by typing:
>
> emacs .vacation.msg
>
> Write as much text as you want. Here are some examples:
>

> Hi there. I'm off to sunny Florida for the next few weeks! I
>will receive your message, but obviously I won't be able to reply. If
>you have pressing needs, you can contact my colleague Charlie Catamount
>at ccat_at_moose.uvm.edu.
>

> Next, edit your .forward file. The .forward file is what really
>makes vacation work. Again, using pico, to edit this file type:
>
> pico .forward
>
> You'll have a single line in the format of:
>
><your-account-name>,"|/usr/bin/vacation <your-account-name>"
>
> Example:
> mkapoodle,"|/usr/bin/vacation mkapoodle"
>

> Finally, type:
>
> vacation -I
>
>at your prompt. This will create some files in your directory to make
>vacation work.
>
> Now you're all set! Any message sent to you will be kept in your
>mailbox. The sender will receive a message back with the text from
>'.vacation.msg'.
>
> In the case that you come back from vacation and want to stop the
>vacation program from running, the easiest solution is to type:
>
> rm .forward
>
>This will remove the .forward file.
>
>Enjoy.
>
>--
gladney_at_stsci.edu, recommended:

>If you look in man pages for vacation, that program creates
$HOME/.vacation.pageand $HOME/.vacation.dir and if you want to forward your
mail it will create

And finally, Kerl Ludwig <frick_at_mfr.dec.com>:

>Hi Maximilian,
>
>I investigated the same problem just a few days ago and found the
>following solution in the comp.mail.sendmail newsgroup. I have not
>tested it yet but it seems very likely that it will work.
>

>Bye,
>
>Karl
>--
>Digital Equipment GmbH Karl-Ludwig Frick
>Postfach 810247 _at_UFC Munich, Germany
>Gutenbergstr. 3 DTN: 865-2718
>D-81902 Muenchen Tel.: +49-89-9591-2718 Fax -2575
> Email:frick_at_mfr.dec.com
>

>Attachement:

> Re: Automatic replies
> Date:
> 19 Jan 1996 02:35:46 GMT
> From:
> wes_at_prozac.student.cwru.edu (Wes Brown)
> Newsgroups:
> comp.mail.sendmail
>

>jc8527_at_soho.ios.com wrote:
>: Hi all,
>
>: Does anyone know what switches to throw in that marvelous sendmail.cf
>: file to create an automatic email reply for all mail to a particular
>: account?
>
>: Intuition says that I need to configure sendmail as well as deliver.
>
>: Thanks,
>
>: jim
>
>You do not need to do anything with the sendmail.cf file.
>
>>From the deliver 2.0 samples: (just modify the vacation script)
>: u-vacation
># A user delivery file for when you're on vacation.
>#
># The ALREADY file remembers who you've already mailed vacation messages
>to.
># The BEBACK string is the date you will return.
>
>ALREADY=vacation.list
>BEBACK="on July 4, 1776"
>
>echo "$1" # Keep the mail!
>
>if grep '^'${SENDER}'$' $ALREADY >/dev/null 2>/dev/null
>then
> exit 0 # We already notified this person; reject
>fi
>
>case $SENDER in
>*uucp) exit 0 ;; # Not a human; reject
>*daemon) exit 0 ;; # Not a human; reject
>*DAEMON) exit 0 ;; # Not a human; reject
>*!*) ;;
>*_at_*) ;;
>## *) exit 0 ;; # Local user; reject (maybe)
>esac
>
># Remember this person
>echo $SENDER >>$ALREADY
>
># Send the vacation message
>SUBJECT=`header -f subject $HEADER`
>mail -s "I'm on vacation" $SENDER <<!EOF!
>Your message to me on the subject
> "$SUBJECT"
>has been delivered. However, I am on vacation, so I have not yet
>read your message. I will be back $BEBACK.
>
>This is the only such message you will receive.
>
>Thank you.
>!EOF!
>
>Wes
>---
>Wes Brown
>ewb4_at_po.cwru.edu wes_at_prozac.student.cwru.edu
> [...]
  Thanks again to everybody, and please do not forget about
Listproc ot Majordomo..:))
  See ya..

Maximilian Canez Fernandes
Member of Team OS/2 Brasil - "Warp the Planet"
Guerrilla UNIX Development - "Venimus, Vidimus, Dolavimus"
| UNIVERSIDADE FEDERAL DE PELOTAS | Maximilian Fernandes (madmax) |
| Centro de Informatica | Adenauer Yamin (adenauer) |
| Assessoria Tecnica e Administrativa | Henrique Vianna (hvianna) |
| Grupo de Gerencia de Redes | Roger Trarbach (roger) |
| Fones: (0532) 75-7130 e 75-7132 | |
"Some people cry and some people die by the wicked ways of love;
but I'll just keep on rollin' along, with the grace of the lord above."
Led Zeppelin II - Heartbreaker