[SUMMARY]Sendmail upgrade problems

From: Larry Griffith <larry_at_garfield.wsc.mass.edu>
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 1996 18:39:46 -0500

Dear Managers,

        My original post was

> I installed sendmail 8.7.3 last night (along with smrsh) on
>our OSF/1 v3.2 network. Thanks to all from this group who provided
>advice! I kept the original sendmail.cf except for the change to the
>Mprog line needed for smrsh.

> I am now getting errors that say this:

>554 rewrite map _at_ not found

> As far as I can tell, this error occurs when a message is
>replied to by MH (v6.8.3) or when a message is sent by Pine (v3.91).
>I haven't had a chance to check our other mail user agents. Mail sent
>by MH (or mh-e) seems to work OK.

> I am not a sendmail expert. Can anyone help with a fix (or
>even better, a debugged sendmail.cf)?

Replies were received from:

Hellebo Knut <Knut.Hellebo_at_nho.hydro.com>
"Patrick O'Brien" <pobrien_at_cfa.harvard.edu>
Arrigo Triulzi<arrigo_at_lpac.ac.uk>

        Hellebo Knut suggested looking at my aliases file. A good
thing to check with that kind of error, but in my case that did not
turn out to be the problem.

        Patrick O'Brien asked if there were a summary on installing
sendmail-8.7.3. I had to reply that I knew of none; anybody have one?
Even though I finally succeeded I would very much hesitate to call
myself an expert!

        I was very wary of using the configuration setup (after trying
to decipher sendmail.cf a while back and being throughly mystified),
but I decided there was really no choice. Arrigo Triulizi's message
arrived confirming that. Fortunately our network is simple (no
special hubs, no DECnet, no uucp, no multiple hostnames, etc.) so I
was able to successfully create a configuration file without undue
problems and without having to directly decipher sendmail.cf. So far
it seems to be working.

        Thanks for all the help!

Larry Griffith Dept. of Computer & Info Science
larry_at_garfield.wsc.mass.edu Westfield State College
(413) 572-5294 Westfield, MA 01086 USA
PGP public key available at: http://garfield.wsc.mass.edu/dcis/griffith.html