DECterm sessions dying abnormally - Why?

From: Neil Movold <nmovold_at_ibl.bm>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 1996 17:03:00 -0500 (EST)

I am currently running Ultrix V4.4 on my DECstation 5000/125. I use
DECterm windows to connect to various systems on my network. During my
sessions, I will eventually get a "Host unreachable" message which
terminates my DECterm window. This has become very annoying and has made
using my workstation almost impossible. I have a DEC Unix Alpha
Workstation on order, but I need to pass this workstation to someone else
to use when I am done with it.

A few things I know :

1) there are multiple systems I am going to : Ultrix and DEC Unix based
   servers

2) I can run "ping -l" to the machine in question, loose my DECterm
   connection, and get no packet loss to that server with less than
   2ms ping times

3) my internal network is below 20% usage most of the time

Someone suggested that I should change my MTU on my Ethernet interface,
but I cannot figure out how, like I can on my DEC UNIX boxes.

Is there a way to monitor the Ethernet port for hardware faults? I have
done a tcpdump, but I don't see anything abnormal.

        Thanks for any help you have,

                        Neil :-)

                     \\\//
                     (o o)
Neil Movold Phone : +1 809 296-1800
Special Operations Consultant Fax : +1 809 295-7269
Internet (Bermuda) Limited E-mail : nmovold_at_ibl.bm
P.O. Box HM2445
Hamilton, Bermuda
HM JX