Multi-Seat Extension to Digital Unix

From: Stuart Kreitman <skk_at_benelux.pa.dec.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 1996 08:01:50 -0800 (PST)

Before I get too far into it, let me begin by pointing out that
your needs may best be met with X terminals or other inexpensive displays.
The product described below is most suitable if your performance
requirements outstrip an X terminal's ability to deliver, or if
you seek a cost savings by redeploying an existing stock of machines.

I solved this problem as a consultant to DEC for a large military bid.
We called the products SEATS.
SEATS includes software drivers and cabling to extend the
single-user nature of Digital Unix/ DECwindows to multiuser limited
only by the number of slots (6 for a turbochannel system). It uses
Digital-standard hardware for graphics, keyboard, and mouse. To add
a second user, a small pigtail cable ties into the onboard spare serial
ports. For up to 6 users, a Magma 8 port serial card is required.
In the final iteration of SEATS, we redesigned the ZLX turbochannel
graphics controller with a DEC mouse/keyboard port so that our product
would have a consistent, robust, hardware basis. All of the existing
DECwindows session management function is preserved. The users see
their DISPLAY variable set to :0.0, :1.0, :2.0, etc.

I spent some amount of personal time and expense marketing this idea,
but found virtually no interest in the marketplace. The turbochannel
window of opportunity is pretty much closed, oh well.

DEC CSS (Custom systems) and GPO (govt program office) were quite pleased
with this product. I believe that if a good sales opportunity came along
they would resurrect it.

Stuart Kreitman
Faster Raster Systems