Lost day on clock fixes!

From: David Varley <dave_at_drum3.cborn.pth.alcoa.com>
Date: Tue Feb 27 12:56:03 1996

I downloaded the patched data and clock.o archives, my system reports
version 3.0 (uname -a), so I copied that version across, tried a
kernel rebuild, but got errors (undefined symbol), so I tried with the
3.0b version and the kernel built ok. I then tried rebooting, but the
machine crashed, creating an undecipherable partial crash dump.
I changed back to the old vmunix, but it still crashed, and to
genvmunix, but still no go.
By stepping through the init stages, I isolated it down to xdm startup.
As I had been debugging and xserver on another machine, using the alpha
as xdm host the week before, I then assumed that the problem had been
present but only showed up on reboot, the machine not having been
booted since mid October 1995. And although I had a new backup, I
didn't want to restore back to October last year to get before all
possible problems.
I then spent 8 hours trying to find the problem, but all xdm config
files seened ok (and dated in 1994), I even loaded a copy of xdm from
another machine, found that I could run Xdec and dxsession ok, and xdm
would crash when queried from another machine, etc, etc, etc...

The crash was :

 85 RESTART SYS
RESTORE Term State

 [etc]

?06 DBL MCHK
    PC=FFFFFC00.00456734 PSL=000000.000007

It wasn't until night fell that I thought of trying a power-cycle.
Seems silly, but I was assuming that the reboot from monitor was
resetting everything.
And lo and behold, the system came up right-as-rain.

So, one day down, and I'm back where I started from. Can anyone
enlighten me as to which version patch I should use, and what could
have gone wrong ?

Thanks,
        David

David Varley
C-Born Software Systems | Voice +61-52-504141 +61-52-290144
59 West Fyans St | AmigaFax +61-52-504140 +61-52-290248
Newtown, Geelong 3220 | Internet dave_at_cborn.pth.alcoa.com
Victoria, AUSTRALIA | varley01_at_ssw.alcoa.com