label a disk & retrieve existing advfs root?

From: Neil R. Smith <neils_at_csrp.tamu.edu>
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 1996 11:46:38 -0600

Evidently, I've got a mangled label on our root disk:
   DEC Alpha 3000/600 _at_ DU 3.2c; all file systems are advfs, including / & /usr.
The root disk device no longer is recognized as having a valid advfs
partition. This is what I did after the problem appeared on a reboot:

I booted from a DU 3.2 install CD (only one available) to Sys. Maintenance
and created /etc/fdmns/root_domain with sym link to /dev/rz3a (original
root location). then:
 mount -t advfs root_domain#root /mnt
But error says
 root_domain#root on /mnt: Device does not contain a valid ADVFS file system
However, disklabel -r rz3 lists partitions with fstypes ADVfs for a and g
(root & /usr).

For ufs, fsck will go out and fix the boot blocks and filesystem. What is
the comparable for advfs; or:

* Can I write a new disklabel to that disk, making sure to use the same
partition table, without destroying the former data and allowing mount of
the original advfs root and usr file systems? --- I suspect that I might
because the DU install process (from 2.0 to 3.2c) gave me an option to use
existing disklabel partitions found on disk.

Will summarize.
-Neil

Neil R. Smith, Research Assoc./Comp.Sys.Mngr. neils_at_csrp.tamu.edu
Climate System Research Program 409/862-4342
Dept. of Meteorology, Texas A&M Univ., USA 409/862-4132 FAX