Migrating to RAID 5

From: Yvon Lauriault <yvon_at_infoserv.nlc-bnc.ca>
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 1996 14:37:04 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

I am currently running a 2100 4/200 DU 3.2C with the standard narrow
BA35x shelf and 4 RZ28's. The / (UFS) and /usr (AdvFs) partitions sit
on the first disk and swapping and user partitions on the other 3 disks.
I am in the process of installing a KZPSC-BA controller and another
internal shelf (BA35E-SA Wide) with six RZ29's.

My first problem is with the configuration of the RAID controller and the
migration of all the partitions to the new disks. I would like to run
everything with RAID 5 and have the most space available (20GB). The
way I understand it I can only create one logical drive (RAID 5) per
drive group and label the one BIG logical drive into multiple partitions.
Or can I create 5 logical drives of 4Gb each and still retain 20GB of space?

My second problem is to be able to migrate my root and /usr partitions to
the new drives or partitions without to much problem. Any thoughts on
doing this?

Thanks in advance for all the help. I'll summarize.

Yvon Lauriault
Head, Telecommunications Support
National Library of Canada
Phone: (819) 994-6981
Fax: (819) 994-6835
Internet: Yvon_at_infoserv.nlc-bnc.ca
X400: /c=ca/a=govmt.canada/p=gc+nlc.bnc/s=lauriault/g=yvon