Printing problems from DU to Netjet cards

From: Okan Geray <geray_at_ecs.umass.edu>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 1996 15:09:26 -0500

Hi all,

I am running DU 3.2B and using LPD to print to HP 4 printers which are
hooked up to our network thru Netjet Emulex cards. Below shows the printcap
entry.

# Emulex card connected HP Printer
lp10|10|cf_hp:\
        :lf=/usr/adm/cf_hp_err:\
        :lp=:\
        :mx#0:\
        :rm=umadevprt131:\
        :rp=PASSTHRU:\
        :sd=/usr/spool/cf_hp:\
        :sh:

Of course I have the correct entries in /etc/hosts. What happens is that
some jobs get stuck in the queue and they stall the queue. When I do an lpq,
I get something like

remote queue is full. Waiting for queue to drain.

But of course they never print. Then I have to go to lpc, down, up and
restart the queue. This is becoming annoying and happens at least a couple
of times during the day. We usually print from Pathworks and PC apps to this
server.
The corresponding Pathworks V5.0f queue entry is also given below:

cfhp:\
        :lf=/usr/net/servers/lanman/logs/lplogs/cfhp:\
        :lp=/dev/null:\
        :if=/usr/lbin/pcsaclass:\
        :sd=/usr/net/servers/lanman/spool/cfhp:

I know we have the latest Windows drivers for the printers on the PC side.
Does anyone else have similar problems and/or suggestions ? Once again, the
problem is intermittant and doesn't seem to be consistent. Different results
with same jobs, etc. TIA for all the replies....

Okan Geray
UMASS Office of Dev.
Unix/Network Admin.