SUMMARY how to transparently span disks

From: Brad Block <bradb_at_s1.GANet.NET>
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 1996 21:24:09 -0500 (EST)

The original question was asking how to make a single "partition" look to
applications like a slice of a disk drive that was large. The consensus
was to use LSM (logical storage manager).

LVM was also suggested but according to digital, is being phased out
in favor of LSM.

Some notes on LSM that I picked up from the system administrators guide
was that basic functionality such as concatenation is included with du 3.2c
licenses. However additional functions such as striping and mirroring
and a graphical lsm administrative tool is available as a seperate
license. For details, there is an entire section in the system
administrators guide that I found very useful.

Additional features was the ability to mirror the root partitions to aid
in robustness.

Thanks to the many responses!
- Brad Block