Disk error questions

From: Eugene Chu <chu_at_musp0.Jpl.Nasa.Gov>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 1996 10:46:17 -0800

Hi,

I'm starting to have disk errors with a relatively new AS 250-4/266
running DU 3.2c. I purchased this system in pieces because I wanted a
particular configuration. Specifically, I bought a RZ28 disk drive
because I felt the standard 1 GB drive would not be big enough for my
root/usr/user partitions. The drive is now exhibiting various read
problems during dump in the upper address ranges; a couple areas at and
above LBN 3777680, each about 20 blocks long. That just happened to by
my user area, but I was able to tar all the files off of it to another
disk. I brought down the system to run SCU scan media on it (since SCU
won't let me do it on a disk with mounted partitions), and other errors
appeared:

Sense code=(0x2,0) = No seek complete
Sense code=(0x9,0) = Track following error
Sense code=(0x11,0) = Unrecoverable read error

In addition, when SCU attempts any access in these areas, the disk
starts to go into what sounds like an incountable number of very fast
seeks, generating a buzzing noise.

I believe this drive is new enough that it should still be under
warranty, so I'll have it exchanged. My concern, however, is whether
the enclosure of this system is too tight for an rz28 to get proper
cooling. Does anyone know whether this is a problem?

thanks in advance,
eyc