SUMMARY: Dirty dat drives

From: Jim Johnson <jj_at_uniprise.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 1996 09:27:21 -0500

Hi All,

Well the consensus is that the read/write heads are/were on their way
out. Between the time I sent the original query out and now, the
drive has degraded to the point of being useless. Nothing but
read/write errors. I was using new tapes and a new head cleaner so
that wasn't it.

Also, some have noted that this is fairly normal for a drive over 12
months (which this is) which sees heavy use (8-12 gb /day)

To make a long story short, HP will swap it for $635 which includes
them fedexing out a new one and we return the old one.

Thanks to:

olle_at_cb.uu.se
bcd_at_heinlein.mps.ohio-state.edu
rockwell_at_koodie.rch.dec.com
Adrian.Stoddart_at_bae.co.uk
nacl_at_nd-service.co.uk
p.lister_at_cranfield.ac.uk

Sorry if I missed anyone and thanks for the opinions as always

Jim Johnson                                The Optimist believes we live
UniPrise Systems Inc.                      in the best of all possible
email: jj_at_uniprise.com                     worlds, the Pessimist fears
Voice: 617.229.1105   Fax: 617.229.0014    this is true.