SUMMARY:Cursor access to history list.

From: Andrew G. MacPhee <A.Macphee_at_Queens-Belfast.AC.UK>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 1996 18:10:54 GMT

Thanks to all who replied, this had been bugging me for some time.

The problem:
>I guess this has come up before, but I'm new here. How do you get the
>cursor keys to work on the history list of commands on DEC Alphas? We've
>got two systems, one supplied running DU3.2C, the other upgraded to this
>from OSF/1.
>
>Niether systems have access to the history list through the cursor keys,
>so I guess it wasn't a problem with the upgrade.
>
>Any ideas?

The solution were of two types:

1) Use a shell which eithr implements this allready; ie tcsh
Thanks to Winfried Huber and Carlos Davalos for pointing me at the location of tcsh vs.6.06:
anise.ee.cornell.edu /pub/tcsh
or
http://www.digital.com/info/misc/pub-domain-osf1.txt.html
 ftp://tesla.ee.cornell.edu/pub/tcsh

Thanks to Boris_at_gore.afep for the info about adding it to the /etc/shells file.

Many of you recomend this as the best option.
or

2) Edit .cshrc

set history=30
set filec
set edithist
set editmode=emacs

Alternatively, you can enable the cursor access from the command line in various shells: viz, in ksh use:

$ set -o emacs

The manual pages on cmdedit include more info.

Sorry for the delay in getting this summary out, there was an unusual and unexpected interuption to our network
services.

a.macphee_at_qub.ac.uk =Andrew G. MacPhee
                      Department of Pure & Applied Physics
                      The Queen's University of Belfast
                      University Road
                      Belfast BT7 1NN
                      NI UK

tel. + 44 1232 245133 x3519 fax. + 44 1232 438918