simple network possible?

From: Scott Lipcon <slipcon_at_max.tiac.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 1996 20:37:17 -0500 (EST)

Hi... I have a DEC 2000 running DU3.2c, but that really isn't all that
important - but everyone here has been so helpful I thought I'd ask this
(slightly off-topic) question. The alpha is at school, right next to an
oldish SGI Indigo. The alpha has an ethernet card, but the 10BT cable
hasn't been run to the server room yet (partially because the servers
might move to a different room!) The SGI has a AUI ethernet port, and we
can't seem to find an adapter. What we really need to do is connect the
two computers somehow to transfer files off the SGI. I suggested that we
get a null-modem and connect them via the serial ports, and use kermit -
but the SGI doesn't have kermit, and no way to get it on it (the disk is
dead full, which is why we have to get stuff off onto the alpha!)

My friend, who uses the SGI more than I do, suggested that we connect the
serial ports and do a PPP link - but PPP isn't on the alpha. I suggested
SLIP, and he thinks the SGI has slip... how would we go about setting up
a network between the two machines, using slip? In general, I think the
procedure would be to set up the alpha as the slip server, and create a
user with a sliplogin as the shell, then set up getty to listen to
/dev/tty01... would this work?

Any more help would be great, because I'm really flying by the seat of my
pants here.

Scott