SUMMARY: TU0 Toggles between UTP and AUI on bootup

From: Bill Sadvary <sadvary_at_dickinson.edu>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 1996 10:03:57 -0500 (EST)

--------Original post--------
> Every time that I boot my AlphaServer 200 (DU v3.2D-1), the tu0 ethernet
> device toggles between UTP (10BASET) and AUI (10BASE5). I'm connected to
> the network via tu0's UTP connector.
>
> More specifically, during the boot process it toggles between..
>
> tu0: auto sensing: selected AUI (10BASE5) port: no carrier
>
> and the next boot would appear as..
>
> tu0: auto sensing: selected UTP (10BASET) port
>
> How do I turn off this auto sensing?
>
> At the console level, I have "ewa0_mode Twisted-Pair" set (visible with the
>
> How do I disable this auto sensing, and/or, why would it select the port
> with no carrier?
>
> I did power down the machine, thinking this may be necesary for the
> "ewa0_mode Twisted-Pair" to take effect. No luck.

The fix involved upgrading to the latest and greatest SRM firmware, that which
can be obtained from http://ftp.digital.com:80/pub/Digital/Alpha/firmware.

This advise was sent by Digital Unix engineer Rajul Shah (rajul_at_zk3.dec.com),
I'll include his reply below...

Thanks to Rajul and to all the others who replied!

-Bill Sadvary
 Dickinson College