SUMMARY : Do I need to install patches for 3.2C on 3.2D ?

From: Eric Wyn Jones (01248-382407) <"Eric>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 1996 15:16:13 +0000 (GMT)

I wrote :-
Dear managers,
 I've just upgraded a couple of Alphaservers 2100 from Dunix 3.2C to 3.2D
 How do I know which files have been updated ?
 Specifically I had installed the telnetd patch from patch ssrt0367_c032.

 Did this patch make it into 3.2D or do I have to reinstall telnetd from
 the patch kit ?

 Telnetd is not mentioned in the maintenance section of the 3.2D Release
 notes - yet the post upgrade version of telnetd does not match the
 image in the 3.2c patch kit ?

Got following replies ... thank you all !

>From alan_at_nabeth.cxo.dec.com

The inventory files for the individual subsets that were
installed contain the list of files in the subset. The
inventory files are kept in /usr/.smdb., and are simple
text files. You can look at them directory, or use setld
with the -i option to see the files in the subset.

Setld -i by itself will list the installed subsets. The
3.2D upgrade files are probably *35? where the ? is not
a zero (that was 3.2C). Then setld -i on the subset
names will print the inventory for that subset.
>From Knut.Hellebo_at_nho.hydro.com

Regards,

If you're worrying about which files have been updated or not, check out the
/var/adm/smlogs directory. Specifically, do a 'sum -r' on the 3.2D telnetd
and compare with the 3.2C patch (I doubt that the patched telnetd made it to
3.2D, but I'm not sure).

>From flack_at_rtp4me.ENET.dec.com

Eric,

Many of the patches from V3.2C did in fact make it into V3.2D, however some
did not - I am not in engineering so I can't speak to the reasons. There is
a patch kit for V3.2D out now - it should contain all of the patches that did
not make it into V3.2D from V3.2C.

Peter Flack
Digital Systems Integration