dumping during multiuser state?

From: 0000 <0000-Admin>
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 1996 12:53:45 -0400 (EDT)

Hello,

We want to do initial dumps of the base system so that we would have
something to reload if the nsr client was unavailable, before we us NSR to
maintain archives and so forth. Anyway, the tape is located on a Solaris
machine and we would be using rdump to backup from the DU (3.2c) to the
Solaris box. The question is, how would dump handle the fact that the DU
box is in a multiuser state? Furthermore, I dont see how it would be
possible to rdump in a single user state because network services would
not be enabled to allow rdump to work.

1. Concern about integrity of data backed up
        - dont want to backup files that have writes not synced to disk
2. Concern about corrupting dump record
        - if dump writes a table of contents that says a file will be x
        bytes long (for instance) and then this file is dynamically
        adjusted after the contents are written but before the file is written
3. Any other concerns I'm missing? ;)

- Thank you!
Brad Block