Printing pages 2-up on a HP laserjet without postscript, a2ps or ghostscript

From: Bob Haskins <haskins_at_myapc.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 1996 13:27:59 -0500

We're looking for a way to print 2-up (the default output from a2ps) to a
number of HP 2's, 3's and 4's WITHOUT postscript and WITHOUT using
ghostscript and a2ps. In essence, I'm looking for an "a2pcl" filter. I have
considered using a2ps-->gs-->printer, but the overhead is very high and
for high volumes this is not an acceptable solution.

Does anyone have any pointers besides "use ghostscript" or "write it
myself" (the obvious but not acceptable choices)?

Bob haskins_at_myapc.com