Extending a RAID logical drive

From: Adrian Ho <adrianho_at_rotiprata.nii.ncb.gov.sg>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 1996 20:20:42 +0800 (SGT)

Hi DU Mgrs!

Is it possible to add a disk to an existing RAID 5 logical drive without
having to restore all ADVfs file domains on that logical drive?

Here's why I'm asking: After last week's restore debacle with our 2100,
I'm seriously considering converting to RAID (RAID 1 mirrored disk for
root_domain+usr_domain, RAID 5 6-disk logical drive for everything else).
Hopefully, this will translate into much fewer restores down the line.

However, we may need to expand the RAID 5 logical drive capacity at some
later date (currently unknown, but not in the near future). All disks
are RZ28-VA's, by the way.

A logical alternative would be to add the additional capacity now, before
conversion to RAID, but I (and my boss) would like to know if we can do
so after the fact. If so, how (besides restoring everything)?

Any comments on our proposed RAID setup ("6 disks? Are you crazy?" or
something similar 8-) would also be most welcome.

Thks much for any info, and I will summarize.

- Adrian Ho
  adrianho_at_nii.ncb.gov.sg