SUMMARY: WNT/DUX Price-difference

From: Kees Bol - Landbouwuniversiteit, Afd. I&D <Kees.Bol_at_RCL.WAU.NL>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 1996 10:51:15 +0000 (GMT)

The original question was:

>Dear group,
>
>perhaps a very naive question but if we have a campus-license
>for DU and OpenVms can we buy the much cheaper WNT alphastations/servers
>and then install DU or OVMS without problems??

As usual with this group I received in notime a lot of responses. Most
of them give the similar answer 'that it is possible'. Because I got a lot
of requests for the answers, I will add all the messages except the one
from one person who preferred not to see his details on the net.

Thanks to all for there time to respond.

BTW. look at
   http://www.digital.com/info/alphaserver/promotions/1000offer.html
for an interesting upgradeoffer for WNT-1000A servers.

From: IN%"kh_at_wpos7.physik.uni-wuppertal.de" "K. H. Becker"
Hi,
 yes, you can. YOu must then buy a BASE-license for DU or OVMS.
 These cost less then the difference between DU- and WNT machines.

Regards,
K.-H. Becker
BUGH Wuppertal
From: IN%"bremner_at_cs.mcgill.ca"

As far as I know, the base license is not included in the
campus licensing program, only the upgrade to unlimited users
db
bremner_at_cs.mcgill.ca

From: IN%"rioux_at_ip6480nl.ce.utexas.edu"

As I understand it, you can but you have to move a jumper or two for Unix.

From: IN%"sanghvi_at_proto.wilm.ge.com"

Hello,
I think it can be done. DEC will not like it but I don't think
they can stop it.

Arun
From: IN%"olle_at_cb.uu.se"

No, you will need the basic DU license that is distributed with the
system and not part of the campus license.

In addition DEC's latest prices has leveled NT and DU machines leavining
VMS at a higher level.
From: IN%"tpb_at_digital.com" "Dr. Tom Blinn, 603-881-0646"

I am skeptical that you really have a license that lets you run either
Digital UNIX or OpenVMS on a system that was never previously licensed for
either. I have never heard of a licensing program in any geography that
grants such rights.

But, if it is true that your institution has been granted such rights, you
can presumably run either Digital UNIX or OpenVMS on any system where they
work.

Let me warn you, however, that there are some systems that run Windows NT
that won't run either Digital UNIX or OpenVMS at all, due to the design of
the systems.

On the other hand, for systems that really will run all three operating
systems, if you really have the rights you claim, then you can just load up
the operating system you choose and use it.

Tom

 Dr. Thomas P. Blinn, UNIX Software Group, Digital Equipment Corporation
  110 Spit Brook Road, MS ZKO3-2/U20 Nashua, New Hampshire 03062-2698
   Technology Partnership Engineering Phone: (603) 881-0646
    Internet: tpb_at_zk3.dec.com Digital's Easynet: alpha::tpb
From: IN%"alan_at_nabeth.cxo.dec.com"

Maybe. Some systems that run Windows NT may only run Windows NT
by virtue of not including the SRM console used by Digital UNIX
and OpenVMS. You'd want to avoid those. For the systems that
can run Digital UNIX and OpenVMS, the NT version may work. Our
group bought NT versions of AlphaStation 400 systems to save
money and most of them end up getting VMS installed over NT.
From: IN%"gnolte_at_gwdg.de" "Gerhard Nolte"

We did a similar thing twice: We bought Alpha Servers with a WNT
license and a seperate DU license with a special price for scientific and
educational sites.

I think you have to look at your campus license conditions.

Gerhard Nolte
From: IN%"GRANDLE_at_acodbob.larc.nasa.gov"

which the memory size of the machine, ovms takes 32 megs min, du 24

Bob Grandle
NASA Langley Research Center
From: IN%"j_dubois_at_analog.ca" "J. Dubois (Analog S.I.)"

I use to be Digital UNIX pre-sales. And to answer to your question,
technically, there is no problem in doing what you mentioned. But
legally DEC will tell you that you need to buy 1 licenses per machine
that you run DU (in case of an audit).

So yes and No

/jean
From: IN%"thibonnier_at_cern.enet.dec.com"
  "Jean-Pierre Thibonnier - Digital Joint Project - CERN "

There is no problem with that except for the dream machine which boot only NT.
JP
From: IN%"warren_at_atmos.washington.edu" "David Warren"

It does work, but you can't re sell it with the wrong system.
However, the latest prices I have show UNIX to be the same as NT.

David Warren INTERNET: warren_at_atmos.washington.edu
(206) 543-0945 Fax: (206) 543-0308
University of Washington
Dept of Atmospheric Sciences, Box 351640
Seattle, WA 98195-1640

DECUS E-PUBS Library Committee representative
SeaLUG DECUS Chair
From: IN%"demarthe_at_alpha.cad.cea.fr" "Herve DEMARTHE"

DISCLAIMER :
Since this is "commercial" information, do not quote the following
text, but you can quote my name and forward eventual questions from
others members of this list.

Yes we did that...
| Herve DEMARTHE %^) E-Mail: demarthe_at_alpha.cad.cea.fr |