Digital UNIX & DCE secd startup

From: Justin Richardson <justin.richardson_at_citicorp.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 1996 12:50:09 +0100

Hi,

        Sorry if this is not directly linked with Digital UNIX, but this
group has been so good in the past, and as I have tried all other avenues,
I thought I would give it a go.

        We are running Digital UNIX v3.2c, and DCE v1.3. When starting the
services on the main CDS/security node we recieve the following error
message. I have included the verbose version of the security daemon
startup.

 # secd -boot -verbose
SECD Server initializing database
log_replay: Entered
log_replay: The base propagation seqno in the log header is 0.563
        Replay: Module=[PGO] Op=[replace] Seqno=[0.564]
SECD server version secd.dce.1.0.2 going into service
secd.dce.1.0.2: Permission denied in replay cache code (dce / krb) while
expungi
ng replay cache 'dfl:krb5kdc_rcache'
Registry: Fatal Error - DT exiting with an exception
 at line 516 of file ../../../../../src/security/server/rs/rs_main.c -
0x0000000
0 - successful completion

The problem is connected with the file
/opt/dcelocal/var/security/krb5kdc_rcache. If I replace this file with
another from a different security server, the security daemon will start.
However no clients are able to start the security clients. What is the
krb5kdc_rcache file? I have been unable to find it documented in the
Digital DCE documentation.

This problem has happened several times now, in the past we have just
reconfigured the servers. Unfortunatly we now have to many clients, to
make a reconfiguration practical anymore. The same error occurs if I try
and use the locksmith account.

Thanks in advance,

Justin