SUMMARY:Formating a new drive.q

From: Don Wilkerson <don_at_tripath.colosys.net>
Date: Wed, 8 May 1996 09:43:07 +0000

Thanks for all the replies, and sorry for the delay:
Those who responded include:

  Calvin Chung <cchung_at_siwest.cts.com>
  Bugs Brouillard <bb1_at_axe.humboldt.edu>
  alan_at_nabeth.cxo.dec.com

QUESTION 1:
  1. What SCSI ID will this drive have when I plug it in?
      Currently my ID's consists of:
      Disks rz0 - rz3 (in the storage bay)
      Tape tz5
      CDROM rz4

  When I put the new drive in and do a show dev from the boot
  prompt I don't see the drive.

  The StorageWorks backplane consists of two sections. The upper
  section supports the first four slots and the lower section supports
  the last three.

  If I remember correctly, the lower section, out of the box, is not
  connected to anything. There should have received a small 3-4 inch
  SCSI ribbon cable which would enable you to join the two sections
  together.

  There are various ways to use the lower section. You may want to
  consult the "Owners Guide". If you simply connect the two sections
  together, you need to re-assign the SCSI ID of your CD-ROM to say
  '6', because the hard drive ID assignment go by slot position.

  run the scu utility:
  scu> show edt

  This will show the bus, target and lu number.
  insert the entry in the /sys/conf/HOST file
  rebuild the kernel
  reboot
  You should now see it with show dev

QUESTION 2:
  2. I forgot what the disklabel command was to initialize a new
      drive. I remember it was something different than what was in
      the man pages.

  disklabel -wr /dev/rr(unit#)c rz28 or rz29
  disklabel -wr /dev/rrz#c type