SUMMARY: DLT on OSF 3.2

From: Shirley Chrisman <Shirley.Chrisman_at_asu.edu>
Date: Thu, 09 May 1996 17:24:27 -0700 (MST)

Hello folks,

Thanks again for your wonderful responses to my request to get the DLT
drive to work on my workstation.

Special thanks to:
        Alan Rollow - Dr. File System's Home for Wayward Inodes"
                 <alan_at_nabeth.cxo.dec.com>
        James Anderson <anderson_at_ocaxp1.cc.oberlin.edu>
        Drew Kramer <drew_at_ny.ox.com>
        Tim W. Janes <janes_at_signal.dra.hmg.gb>

All of you gave me very good example command strings.

Also some of you gave me advise on how to generate the proper device
files for the drive, using MAKEDEV. I did not have any rmt* or nrmt*
files at all, and running this script took care of that.

After I had all the pieces in place, I did a local dump for testing
purposes. I used /dev/nrmt0h and successfully dumped my two file systems
onto tape. After I did a rewind and eject the tape, I realized that my
entire screen had locked up. From that point on it was downhill.....
but then, that's another problem....

Looks like somehow my DLT drive blew up. My one and only SCSI in my machine
comes up with an error, and unless I physically detach the DLT drive/cable,
my machine will not boot. Seems now (at monitor level), a SCSI Ctrl Data
miscompare error is reported anytime the cable from the DLT is attached (even
if the DLT is powered down). Once again, this is a different issue, but I
thought I'd throw this little tidbit in.... Think I'll give my machine a
break now, and go away before it breaks down completely.

Again, thanks for your help.

Shirley Chrisman
Information Technology
Arizona State University