passwd protection

From: Clovis Lacerda <clovis_at_elogica.com.br>
Date: Tue, 14 May 1996 11:24:56 -0300

Dear all,

I hope someone could help me with this little problem. Our /etc/passwd.pag
file has read permission for everyone (644). Users are downloading this file
and cracking the passwords. If we chmod it to 600 (read user-only), some
side effects take place, protocol errors occur when users try to change
their kerberos password, wrong intruder alerts, etc. The adduser file
normally forces passwd and passwd.pag into 644 mod status. Even mkpasswd
does the same. Is there a way to overcome this?

Thank you very much.

Abracos
Clovis

-----