From: Pidgeon, Phillip <PPIDGEON_at_omc.otis.utc.com>
Date: Fri, 17 May 1996 06:13:00 -0700 (PDT)

My Original question was:

Hi,

Could anyone advise me on whether Function keys above F12 can be defined
on a DEC PCXAL keyboard, by using F1-F12 together with shift/ctrl/alt keys
by
using xmodmap, dxkeycaps or some other method?

Two methods:

1/ Use command in .cshrc file like
xmodmap .xmodmaprc
where .xmodmaprc file in login directory contains lines:

keycode 9 = F1 F14
keycode 15 = F2 F18
keycode 23 = F3 F19
keycode 31 = F4 F20
keycode 39 = F5 F21
keycode 47 = F6 F22
keycode 55 = F7 F23
keycode 63 = F8 F24
keycode 71 = F9 F25
keycode 79 = F10 F26
keycode 86 = F11 F27
keycode 94 = F12 F28

2/ edit the /var/X11/xdm/keymap_default file to contain the above entries.

It seems that F13, F14, F17 may perform special functions (so I avoided
these)?

Thank to those that replied:
Jon Buchanan, Zuerich, Switzerland a628115_at_provolone.dszrh.ska.COM
Don Newcomer newcomer_at_dickinson.EDU

Regards,
Phil Pidgeon
ppidgeon_at_omc.otis.utc.com