SUMMARY: Swap problems

From: <goluboff_at_cuhep.Colorado.EDU>
Date: Sat, 18 May 96 19:16:44 -0600

Okay. I finally was able to make this nagging problem better. Crashes
of the software are much more spaced out than they used to. (and might
be for completely different reasons, I think)

Many thanks to:
"Anthony D'Atri" <aad_at_nwnet.net>
pobrien_at_draco.harvard.edu (Patrick O'Brien)
<alan_at_nabeth.cxo.dec.com>

In fact, my ubc-maxpercent was at 100%, which seems to have been the
problem.

I include Patrick's fix, since it nailed it:

> I have 512MB RAM in an AlphaServer 2100, and I made ubc-maxpercent
> 2%. The other ubc parameters had to be changed accordingly. I don't
> know what is ideal, but the 2% seems OK. New systems I've received
> with 128MB RAM shipped with a 20% value.
>
> Here's how you change it. You output the current values into a
> file in the stanza(4) format, which I'll explain. Then you
> do sysconfigdb -a -f file.stanza, where file.stanza is your stanza(4) file.
> Since the unified buffer cache controls main memory, I reboot
> once the changes are made, though I'm not certain that's necessary.
> The changes made by the sysconfigdb -a -f filename are written
> into /etc/sysconfigtab, which is consulted on subsequent reboots.
>
> sysconfig -q vm > file.stanza
>
> That outputs the current vaules, as you obviously know. Edit
> file.stanza, and prepend the line
>
> vm:
>
> The stanza(4) format just means the subsystem name is the first line,
> and it's followed by a colon, and that subsequent lines up until the
> next colon-delimited line represent value-attribute pairs.
>
> Now you're doing the DEC stanza :-)
>
> Then you edit file.stanza and change the values. There are several
> regarding ubc, and I just made sure that none of them exceeded
> the ubc-maxpercent value.
>
> To enact the change, do
>
> sysconfigdb -a -f file.stanza vm
>
> The sysconfigdb(8) command writes the changes to /etc/sysconfigtab,
> and makes the modifications to the subsystem.
>
> There are also similar parameters regarding swap, which you might want
> to look at. One bug in the sysconfigdb(8) command: it requires that
> /tmp is on the same partition as /etc. I ran into that in DU 3.2B;
> I don't know whether it's been fixed.

Mariano Goluboff

PGP public key and blue ribbon link for freedom of speech on:
http://hep-www.Colorado.EDU/~goluboff/