fsck and LSM

From: Martyn Johnson <Martyn.Johnson_at_cl.cam.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 22 May 1996 15:17:04 +0100

fsck contains algorithms for checking multiple discs in parallel, making sure
that it only checks one filesystem on each disc at once. For real discs, this
works fine.

I have recently put all of the discs on one of my servers under LSM control,
so all of the UFS filing systems are on logical volumes. Physically, they are
all over the place - some mirrored, some striped, some both.

It seems to me that fsck cannot have the faintest idea what is where, and
which filesystems it is sensible to check in parallel. I am not sure exactly
what it is doing, but the net effect is that fsck after a crash is now a lot
slower than it was before.

Is there anything I can do? I would be willing to specify the parallelism I
want for myself, but I don't see any mechanism for doing so. The "traditional"
method of setting "pass numbers" in /etc/fstab seems to have gone away.

I do intend to migrate these filesystems to AdvFS eventually, but it cannot be
done instantaneously.

--
Martyn Johnson      maj_at_cl.cam.ac.uk
University of Cambridge Computer Lab