SUMMARY: Creating color postscript file of an X-window

From: Ernie Bisson, MIT Bates Linear Accelerator <BISSON_at_AESIR.MIT.EDU>
Date: Wed, 29 May 1996 10:58:53 -0400 (EDT)

My original question was:

> I need a solution to the following for Ultrix, but in the very near future
> will need it for Digital-Unix as well.
>
> So here goes,
>
> We have applications, written in-house, which create X-windows on color
> displays. The applications give the user the ability to print the window
> with the click of the mouse. Clicking on "print screen" simply executes
> the following script.
>
> #/bin/sh
> /usr/bin/X11/xwd -frame -id $3 -out $5
> /usr/bin/X11/xpr -device ps -portrait $5 | lpr -x
>
> This all worked in color to an HP PaintJet XL printer. It also worked to a
> DEClaser 3250 (of course only in black and white). We have just purchased a
> Tektronix Phaser 550 color printer and have come to find out that creating
> a postscript file via "xpr" does not contain color of the image.
>
> I've read the man pages for "xpr" and have not discovered an obvious solution.
> Am my missing something? Do others out there do a similar operation using
> something other than "xwd" and "xpr"?

The answers were,

  1. Use xgrab (X-Window user interface)/xgrabsc (command line user interface),
     which contain both a Motif and an Athena frontend.

     Use archie to locate xgrabsc.2_41.tar.gz.

  2. Use xv, which allows you to grab a screen and write to color postscript.
     According to xv help the latest greatest is at ftp.cis.upenn.edu.

  3. Use Pbmplus (I think avaliable from ftp.x.org) has xwdtopnm and pnmtops
     so you can say something like:

     #/bin/sh
     wxd -frame -id $3 -out $5
     xwdtopnm $5 | pnmtops -noturn | lpr -x

I decided to get xgrab/xgrabsc since we didn't want the user to have to know
how to do anymore than click on "Print Screen". XV would have needed more
interaction from them. I used "xarchie" and grabbed it from ftp.cs.umn.edu.

It built with no problems on Digital-Unix V3.2A.
I had problems building it on both Ultrix V4.3/V4.3A, but had no problem
on an Ultrix V4.4 system. I was able to copy the executable from the V4.4
system to the others and all appears to work.

Thanks to the following for replying,

Steffen Kluge <kluge_at_ave.ac.agit.de>
Jay Wasserman <jrw_at_vlsi.bu.edu>
"Anthony D'Atri" <aad_at_nwnet.net>
Christophe Colle <colle_at_krtkg1.rug.ac.be>
Sean Watson <swatson_at_tuolumne.lib.csubak.edu>
Jim Belonis <belonis_at_dirac.phys.washington.edu>
Stan Huhman#HUHMANJohn Deere EW <huhman_at_rg.deere.com>
Hellebo Knut <Knut.Hellebo_at_nho.hydro.com>

Ernie Bisson
M.I.T. Bates Linear Accelerator
P.O. Box 846
Middleton, Massachusetts 01949-2846