Servers hang during boot from CD

From: Pete Hendry <pgh_at_cs.strath.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 29 May 1996 16:33:49 +0100

We are having a strange (but consistent) problem with several Alpha server
1000 4/266 servers running OSF/1 V3.2.

Whenever we try to boot one of these servers (from disk or CDROM) it gets
as far as the warning about /sbin/swapdefault missing, using swap
overcommitment mode and then hangs. They just sit there and never get past
that point.

We have other servers the same model that work perfectly. We spent some time
swapping everything between the working and non-working servers (including
the CPU board) to no avail. We have checked that all the console variables
are the same and even downgraded the firmware on one of the servers to a
level
similar to the server that is working. This didn't help.

The only thing we can think of that is different from the servers we normally
build is that these were shipped configured to run NT. All our other servers
have been configured to run UNIX or OpenVMS. Could we have missed something
changing to UNIX from NT?

All of the servers have been running OpenVMS for 3 weeks for testing and
there was no problem. The problem is only with UNIX. We used the 'reset to
factory defaults' option in the ARC menu and this made no difference.

We tried booting from both the 3.2 and the 3.2C CD's. Same result (hang after
/sbin/swapdefault warning).

Any ideas?

Pete.