SUMMARY: Configuring Sendmail in 8bit mode.

From: <gsilber_at_cecam.fr>
Date: Fri, 31 May 96 17:56:26 +0200

Thanks to Stephen Kluge, Hans Ranke, Patrick O'Brien and Benoit Maillard
for their fast answers.

So, the problem was to configure sendmail in 8 bit mode.
The man page doesn't explain at all how to do that and
unfortunately, I have no paper doc of sendmail.

Here are possible answers :

- ----------------------------------------------------
just put an O8 option into the options section of your sendmail.cf
file and restart sendmail. If you are using the m4 sources for
building sendmail.cf you should place the O8 into sendmail.m4 and
do a make in /var/adm/sendmail.
- ----------------------------------------------------
after a quick look into my sendmail manual i found the following
potential causes for stripping the 8th bit:

+ there is a 'O7' line in sendmail.cf
+ there is a 'M' line in sendmail.cf where the flags (i.e. the
  arguments of the 'F=' part) include the '7' or the 'L' flag.
- ----------------------------------------------------
It requires that BIT8 is defined in conf.h at compile time of
the IDA sendmail. I believe that DEC does not define BIT8
in their shipped version. You can build V8 sendmail, which
has it enabled by default.
You need to install the worldwide support subsets for french, it will
prompt you for sendmail.cf modification to allow for 8 bit.

It works perfectly now.

- -Georges SILBER
CECAM System Administrator.
Centre Europee de Calcul Atomique et Moleculaire.
France.