[S] Copy OVMS Backup Tape to Unix

From: Barb Baker <baker.barb_at_tchden.org>
Date: Wed, 05 Jun 1996 16:46:22 MST

At LIGHTNING-FAST speed, I received several responses
to my question about reading a VMS save-set tape on a
DAT tape drive from a Unix system. Thanks especially to
Pam Woods for offering to allow me to ftp the patch from
her site. Here are the folks who responded, and a
summarization of their responses. (Hope I didn't miss
anyone.)

We were able to find a DAT drive that we installed in a
storageworks cab on VMS (as Kent suggested), so we ended up
reading the thing from VMS after all. (Love those storageworks cabs!)

Thanks to all for your help!!

Serge Munhoven Jim Belonis
Pam Woods Kent Poots
Chris Duschka Knut Hellebo
Mick Barton Lucien Hercaud
Don Newcomer

From: munhoven_at_olive.msm.ulg.ac.be (Serge Munhoven)

There is a utility called vmsbackup to do this. Available by FTP from

ftp://bongo.cc.utexas.edu/source/util/vmsbackup
ftp://cs.tut.fi/pub/src/tape-readers/vmsbackup
ftp://emx.cc.utexas.edu:/pub/mnt/source/util/vmsbackup

From: Jim Belonis <belonis_at_dirac.phys.washington.edu>

dd should work if you use the right blocksize.
Then ftp to VMS (in binary mode).
Then COPY/OVERLAY on top of another saveset with the correct blocksize.

Alternatively, you may be able to make the Unix system read the VMS save-set
with the vmsbackup program on Unix. It is available from various anonymous
ftp sites. But it pretty-much only handles text files in the VMS backup
saveset.
So if in fact there are binary files like executables in the save-set, it
will not help.

Belonis

From: "Pam Woods, Systems Manager" <axsymgr_at_UAA.ALASKA.EDU>

Check man ltf it might help?
I have heard something about there is on Digital Unix a way
to read backup tapes.
Recently we got a patch for Pathworks on Alpha Openvms
If you're running the 4.2 server, maybe it's the same one and
I can let you ftp that?
pcsa_eo7042 is the patch name...

From: KPOOTS_at_gects.ge.com (Kent Poots \(416\)491-9318, Systems Support

Is there any way you could temporarily move your DAT drive
to your VMS machine ? Might be the easiest thing to do.

Yes, there is a way to read VMS backup save sets on a Unix box.
Can't say I'm an expert at this ! There are public-domain utilities
available. Also, if you have access, maybe look at DSNLink "OSF"
for keywords like VMS or save.

Hope that helps abit.

KP

From: chris_at_vinfiz.mcclellan.af.mil (chris duschka)

Intergraph has a vmsbackup executable that can read VMS savesets.
If the local Intergraph Office can't help you, you could send the
tapes to Sacramento and I could read them in, you could ftp.

You might also want to send Rich Carroll a msg, he's in Colorado
Springs and has Intergraph equipment. (Don't know if he has 4mm or
not.) His email is carrolrm_at_smdis25.det25.af.mil.

chris
From: Hellebo Knut <Knut.Hellebo_at_nho.hydro.com>
Regards,

'dd' should work for any proper tape. However, you could also try 'tcopy'.

From: "Michael Barton (01772) 855810" <Michael.Barton_at_bae.co.uk>

     An Interoperability disk came with our DU systems, (freeware) on it
    is vbackup (VMS backup for DU)
             else
    you maybe able to get it from annon ftp.

    Mick.

From: Lucien HERCAUD_at_paribas.com

     Hello Barbara,

     I suggest the use of "ltf" (see the man page). This will allow you to read
     an ANSI labeled tape on DU.

     Regards,
                                                Lucien

From: Don Newcomer <newcomer_at_dickinson.edu>

If you have the "OpenVMS & DEC OSF/1 Interoperability Tools" CD that was
distributed free of charge from DEC (AG-QBX6A-XE), you can use VBACKUP to
get that patch off the
tape. The only concern, however, is that you'll lose the RMS attributes.
It's worth a try, though.
Barbara Baker PHONE: (303) 861-6284
The Children's Hospital FAX: (303) 837-2577
Denver, Colorado Email: baker.barb_at_tchden.org