SUMMARY: patch access options?

From: Gyula Szokoly <szgyula_at_skysrv.Pha.Jhu.EDU>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 1996 11:27:15 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

  Original question was:

  I'm trying to find a way to get access to Digital Unix/Layered products
patches. I spend most of the day on it, and nobody could tell me what
kind of contract I need. I do not (repeat do not) want phone support
(we can't really afford it).
  So: does anybody know what I want? Sounds simple, but when I called
Dec, I had to explain many times that a 'patch' is not an OS upgrade, hence
it's not obvious that an upgrade contract will give me patch access. So
far no presales expert knew what an ECO was (for software -- they knew
what a hardware ECO was).
  The www.service.digital.com site seems to be the right one, except I need
to buy DSNlink. Well, how to buy it *without* phone support?

  Answer: NO. You can't get DSNLink, DIA or equivalent without some kind of
support contract that includes phone support.
  Messages to Dec (hoping that the right person is reading this forum):
1. This is stupid. If somebody wants to buy something, why not sell it?
2. It would be nice to have some sort of documentation on-line that explains
   what the different support options are.
3. Currently if you have no support contract, and the OS is broken, you
   have to cough up like $600 to get the patch (been there, the number is
   real). More than you pay for the OS, actually. What should I say? I
   should not say 'rip off'. (For $125/yr I do get Sun patches -- hint hint.)

  Extra things:
http://www.service.digital.com/ (has a minor subset of patches and some readme
                                 files).
ftp.service.digital.com (simmilar to the previous)
atlanta.service.digital.com (simmilar to the previous)
try archie -- somebody might have it on his/her ftp site...

Thanks to everybody who replied,
  Gyula