SUMMARY-2: Copying file systems.

From: <mortimer_at_physics.uq.oz.au>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 96 10:37:40 +1000

Hi all

An addition to my earlier summary to clear up a couple of points.

1. Mike Cordonsky checked `cp -pR` under DU 3.2c and found that
it worked properly. It looks as though the behaviour I observed
is a "feature" of cp under 3.2.

2. In the summary I said: "one catch with tar which is that it
has a strict limit of 100 characters for the filename including
the path."

I was just quoting one of the replies I received when I said
there was a 100 character pathname limit. I should have checked
the man page which says:

The current limit on filename length is 256 bytes. The current limit
on file links (hard or soft) is 100 bytes.

Sorry for spreading misinformation.

Ian Mortimer
Department of Physics Tel : +61 7 3365 3416
University of Queensland Email: mortimer_at_physics.uq.edu.au
St. Lucia, Brisbane Fax : +61 7 3365 1242
Queensland, Australia. 4072.

Disclaimer: Any opinions expressed are my own and do not represent those
            of the University of Queensland or the Department of Physics.