SUMMARY: Connecting a modem to an alpha

From: King, Arron <KINGA_at_msmail.odc.edu>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 96 08:53:00 EDT

First of all thanks to those who responded with helpful ideas and
suggestions

Knut.Hellebo_at_nho.hydro.com
bob.capps_at_ps.net
kgminor_at_sandia.gov

It was suggested that I check the archives at
"http://www.ornl.gov/cts/archives/mailing-lists/alpha-osf-managers"

I did for this last year, and wasn't able to turn up much new on modems,
but there is a lot of other stuff there!

 ---

A suggestion on the /etc/inittab file

I have a modem set up as a dial in line and all works well. The only
difference is that in inittab I give the full path to tty01 (/dev/tty01).
can't see this making a difference though.
This may be trivial, but my modem is a 56.7 kB. Have you tried changing
all
the 19200's to 14400 in gettydefs and inittab?

 ---

I recieved information on how to get a direct session to my modem:

add the line

  modem1:dv=/dev/tty01:br#2400:pa=none:

to /etc/remote. Cycle the gettys by init q as root and then from a
terminal
session, enter:

  tip modem1

You now have a direct session to the modem. Here you can issue the modem

commands to report back all of the current settings to make sure that
everything is okay. (AT&V for most Hayes or ATI4 for USR Sportster)

I did this and realized how important modem init strings are. I recieved
a little help from my predecessor, and was able to connect the modem to
an HP9000 box. It picked up on the first ring. I tried the modem again
on the alpha, but no luck. I think my setup is correct on the alpha, I
just need to find the correct modem init string; but I've got it to work
on the HP9000, and for my purposes that's enough...

Thanks again to all who responded!

Arron King
Network Administrator
Ohio Dominican College