http server configured as "inetd"

From: Ulrike Hanslik-Landry <uhanslik_at_eagle.auc.laurentian.ca>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 1996 15:07:28 -0400 (EDT)

Good Friday to you all!
        Thank you very much to those managers who offered suggestions to
my question which is below. I really appreciate your timely help.
        We took your suggestions of making the server "standalone" and it
works great! Thank you very much!!

                                Ulrike uhanslik_at_eagle.auc.on.ca

---------------------------Summary of replies----------------------------
From: Gyula Szemenyei <szemgy_at_rkk.hu>
I suggest to run httpd standalone. It will be much faster! (Tha consumes
more memory but it doesn't matter - you can configure the number of httpd
children.)

From: "Andrew C. Saylor" <asaylor_at_alpha.comsource.net>
Why are you launching Apache from INETD? I use Apache here and have found
it to be a very stable program. I would suggest you run Apache and just
place it in the background so that it will listen on port 80 all the time.
That will reduce load on INETD and speed the WWW docs. Using INETD for
apache means that Apache will be constantly loaded and unloaded from
memory as WWW requests come in. Since apache takes a second or so to
launch, that will be a delay in getting the web page.

From: "Steven E. Newton" <snewton_at_oac.hsc.uth.tmc.edu>
Apache doesn't run under inetd -- it's a standalone daemon.

From: bremner_at_cs.mcgill.ca
you probably don't want to run httpd from inetd anyway. My understanding
is that there is a substantial performance hit.
Here is /sbin/init.d/http, a script to start and stop httpd.
You then need to place a link in /sbin/rc3.d to ../init.d/http
mine is S76http, which starts it almost last.
#!/bin/sh
# ver author date text
# .01 smy 5/14/93 created
#
PATH=/sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
export PATH
case "$1" in
'start')
        if [ -f /labs/cgm/local/pkg/WWW/bin/httpd ]
        then
                echo "Starting CERN httpd"
                /labs/cgm/local/pkg/WWW/bin/httpd -r /labs/cgm/local/pkg/WWW/config/httpd.conf
        fi
        ;;
'stop')
        pid="`cat /var/adm/httpd-pid`"
        /bin/kill $pid
        ;;
*)
        echo "usage: http {start|stop}"
        ;;
esac

From: Anthony D'Atri <aad_at_nwnet.net>
Run httpd out of rc.whatever, not inetd.conf.