SUMMARY - Memory upgrade

From: managers account <managers_at_mannet.mcb.net>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 1996 12:06:43 +0100 (BST)

Thanks for all the comments. All confirmed that recognition of the new
memory is automatic. Most of the interesting discussion was on tuning
and swap space. There is quite a divergence of opinion as to just what
swap space is relevant after an upgrade and how you achieve it. If you
do extend it on a running system then you should really use an unused
partition on a different disk to your existing swap space.
We don't have any unused partitions so the only solution appears to be an
extra disk - not terribly welcome financially on top of the mem upgrade
but the only practicable alternative. However there was a cogent counter
argument for saying you might need LESS swap space.
As the info contained in all these answers is very useful for anybody
contemplating mem upgrades I have collected it and made it available on
our anon area of ftp as follows as a sort of faq
ftp.mcb.net/pub/dist/alpha.memoryupgrade.txt

Thanks very much to all. We install at the end of this week.
Stuart McKenzie