Internal modem for Alphastation 200 4/100

From: steve timm <timm_at_charm.phy.albany.edu>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 1996 13:06:41 -0400 (EDT)

Dear managers

The Alphastation 200 4/100 has two EISA slots on its motherboard
and in our case neither of them are used at this time. I am wanting to add a
28.8K modem to our system, with the goal of using it to set up
a PPP connection to home.

Digital has got an $800 modem they'd like to sell me, but of course
modems for EISA slots are available for one quarter of the price
in many locations. I am just wondering if anyone has ever taken
such an internal modem destined for the PC market out of the box,
found the correct device drivers to run it under Unix, and then
established a PPP line on it.

Thanks for your help.

Steve Timm