[SUMMARY]: How to display SWAPMODE

From: Isaac Oribioye <I.O.Oribioye_at_herts.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 96 10:56:38 GMT

At 09:19 17/07/96 GMT, I wrote:
>Hi guys,
>
>Just a quickie please, can anyone tell me how to find out what swap mode my
>machine is running in?
>
>I checked /sbin/swapdefault to determine that I was running in immediate
>swap mode, I have changed swap modes by renaming the about file (link) and
>rebooting the system. Now, is there a way or some command that quickly gives
>you info on what swap mode is in operation?
>
>Thanks for any help, will summarise very quickly.

Thanks to the following for the quick response....

 Peter Stern, Stuart Davidson, Marco Luchini, Stam Nicolis, Tom Blinn, Alan
Rollow, Laurent Deniel, Regis Rembado, Roy Langridge (please call me
sometime!), Tim Rioux and Mike Procter?

Three categories useful suggestions...

1.--------------------------------------------------------
echo 'p vm_swap_eager' | dbx -k /vmunix /dev/mem

0 = lazy, 1 = eager

2.--------------------------------------------------------
alpha1:root:/# cd /usr/var/adm
alpha1:root:/usr/var/adm# grep swap messages | tail -4 would result in..

Jul 3 08:29:17 alpha1 vmunix: vm_swap_init: warning /sbin/swapdefault swap devi
ce not found
Jul 3 08:29:17 alpha1 vmunix: vm_swap_init: in swap over commitment mode
---------

3.---------------------most
popular------------------------------------------------------
You want the swapon command (/sbin/swapon -s). The output if you don't have
"eager" allocation (no /sbin/swapdefault file) is like this (after details
on each swap partition):

Total swap allocation:
    Allocated space: 98404 pages (768MB)
    In-use space: 22809 pages ( 23%)
    Available space: 75595 pages ( 76%)

If you have "eager" allocation, there will also be a "reserved" line that is
the number of pages reserved to back in-memory pages.

Thanks once again,

Isaac Oribioye
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield, Herts.