Summary - Need help with memory error

From: <mclaughl_at_nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 96 09:10:04 -0400

 DU Gurus,

  Once again this list proves invaluable. Many thanks to:

  Dr. Tom Blinn
  Alan Rollow
  WHITTAKER, Bruce
  And any responses I haven't received yet.

 Original Post:

> > We recently upgraded a 3000/600's memory from 96Mb to 288Mb. The system seems
> > to like the memory, " >>>show mem" sees all 288 Mb. However, during the boot we
> > get the following errors:
> >
> > physical memory = 288.00 megabytes.
> > available memory = 267.41 megabytes.
> > using 1098 buffers containing 8.57
> > _megabytes of memory
> > > Module in slot 5 has bad ROM format, <
> > > _can't configure it <
 [ snip ]

 Dr. Tom Blinn's response:

> The message is NOT referring to your memory subsystem, it's
> referring to one of your I/O options, the one in TURBOchannel slot
> five (5). At least, that's what I interpret that message to mean.
>
> What's odd about this is that I don't think a 3000/600 HAS a TC
> slot 5; so there may be something else wrong with the system.

 We did recently add a TURBOchannel card to the system which coincides
 with the error. I'll be able to debug fairly easily now. Thanks again.

Steve Mc