suid ksh scripts under DU3.2c

From: Christopher C. Stevenson <csteven_at_kelvin.physics.mun.ca>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 1996 11:06:06 -0230 (NDT)

Greetings-

We have need to write some ksh scripts under DU3.2c that are executable by
everyone, for the purposes of reading files that should not otherwise be
accessible to the user base. Using suid=root scripts is always to be
discouraged, of course, and so I created a user to own all relevent files and
would like the scripts to be suid = this (non-human) user. This user has
no special privileges.

The only problem is that we can't get DU 3.2c to run *anything* suid to
*anyone*. We are not running C2 security. The "-p" flag in the man page for
ksh has no effect - more than this, the referenced /etc/suid _profile does
not seem to exist (see the man page for ksh).

The system is not behaving according to documentation. All we
would like is to get a couple of scripts running suid so that we
can control user access to some custom database files.

Any clues?

Thanks in advance.
Christopher C Stevenson C3004 office: (709) 737-2624
Dept. of Physics & Physical Oceanography fax: (709) 737-8739
Memorial University of Newfoundland
St. John's, Newfoundland, CANADA A1B 3X7