Additional Info DU4.0 -- SUMMARY: iomega ZIP disktab entry ?

From: Stephen Dowdy <dowdy_at_cs.colorado.edu>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 1996 12:34:16 -0600 (MDT)

> From: UCL Starlink <star_at_star.ucl.ac.uk>
> To: alpha-osf-managers_at_ornl.gov
> Subject: SUMMARY: iomega ZIP disktab entry ?
> 1) From: alan <alan_at_nabeth.cxo.dec.com>
>
> If the drive is well behaved, Digital UNIX can get the geometry
> directly from the drive (with the disklabel command). The driver will
> provide a default partition table, though for a such a small drive, the
> algorithm may get a bit confused.

I don't know about the Zip drive, but the Jaz (1GB) doesn't support a
Geometry mode page. In DU4.0 disklabel will do a DEVGETGEOM ioctl to
the drive, regardless of you using a defined disktab entry or a generic
(non-defined query) SCSI type.

Since the Jaz has no geometry mode page, the DEVGETGEOM fails, and
'disklabel' aborts with:

        XXX: no such device type

The only way i've found to force a disklabel in DU4.0 to a JAZ drive
is to build one by hand (you can use 'disklabel -r' on another drive
and hack the output), then:

        disklabel -R -r rzN /tmp/jaz.disklabel rzboot bootrz

If anyone has any better idea let me know. I've tried all sorts of
entries for the Jaz in /etc/disktab and none will keep disklabel from
issuing the DEVGETGEOM ioctl. It seems also that 'disklabel' isn't using
the DDR database in /etc, so trying to create an entry there doesn't look
like it'll help. Maybe something in cam_data.c (being retired) would
help, but i haven't had time to look into it.

--stephen
--
Stephen Dowdy - Systems Administrator - CS Dept - Univ of Colorado, Boulder
dowdy_at_cs.colorado.edu - 303-492-6196 - http://www.cs.colorado.edu/~dowdy/