SUMMARY: Keyboard problem

From: <ASIMEONE_at_iga.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 1996 12:32:22 -0500 (EST)

hello,

Thanks for the following replies from...

Dr. Tom Blinn <tpb_at_zk3.dec.com>
<KPOOTS_at_mickey.gects.ge.com>

The problem isn't completely solved, however, we have a work
around now and a possible solution further down the line. So,
I thought I would put a summary in here to close this out.

The original question follows...

>I haven't received any responses so far, so I've been poking around
>a little on this system to see if I can get it to work.
>
>I've tried booting genvmunix and still have the same results.
>I've managed to get the CD on this system to work so I booted off
>the osf 3.2c operating system CD. I've selected option 3
>(system management option), and the keyboard works booting
>from the CD.
>
>I've managed to mount the hard disks manually and look around
>a bit. I've figured out this system is running DU2.0. I'm
>thinking a file got corrupted on / that gives me a keyboard when
>booting. stty? Would copying /sbin/stty from a du3.2c cd to
>a hard disk running du2.0 work? Is this the file that gives me
>a keyboard?
>
>any help would be appreciated. Original question follows....
>
>thanks,
>allan
>I just received a dec2000 axp. I'm having a weird problem where
>the keyboard isn't working. Booting multi user or single user
>mode, they keyboard is hung. Can't type anything. I can only
>type from console mode. I am not sure what version of unix it is
>running, but I assume it is DU3.2C or D.
>
>The error on startup is as follows...
>
>pcxal_keyboard_char: keycode out of range (0x60)
>.
>.
>.
>-: stty: not found
>
>at console, show env shows...
>
>keyboard = US (3)
>
>a LK411-AA keyboard is attached and I also tried replacing it
>with a RT101.
>
>Any help would be greatly appreciated. I will summarize.
>
>thanks,
>Allan
>Ioele/Griggs
>asimeone_at_iga.com
>610-431-9247

workaround:

One suggestion was to use a pcxal keyboard since a lk411 keyboard
may not be supported under DU2.0. I switched the keyboard to a pcxal-aa
and still had the same results.

A suggestion was made to put a terminal on a serial line. This worked
(somewhat) only after completely disconnecting the graphics monitor.

We were able to boot to single user mode with the vt220. The error
still came up (stty: not found) but the keyboard did work. Booting
to multi user, the keyboard hung.

We found that the /etc/gettydefs file had a size of 0 bytes. We restored
that file with the tape backup that came with the system. We are now
able to boot multiuser mode with the vt220 and the keyboard works. The
stty:not found still exists though. I found two stty files. One in
/sbin and one in /usr/bin. Both do not have a size of 0 bytes so I
assume those files are ok.

So the problem with the Graphics monitor still exists, however, I
reconfigured the system for our network and we can use the system
over the net now.

Upgrading will be a good solution but not an option at this time.

thanks,
Allan