Xappeal and DEC alphas/dec UNIX

From: UFPEL - CPMET <ufpelrm_at_eu.ansp.br>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 1996 11:24:18 -0300 (GMT-0300)

Hello

We are evaluating some X terminal emulation software to use in our
research center. We currently use 2 DEC 3000/AXP workstations with DEC
UNIX version V3.2 214 alpha.

I downloaded Xappeal and did an installation. After that, I tried to
connect to one of the Workstations. I get the console login screen, but
after issue my name and password, I receive the message "Cannot start
session manager from remote client -- access denied".

We are using another X terminal emulator, X-Win32, from StarNet. This is
a Windows software, to run under Winsock. With this software, we do not
have the above problem.

Following some instructions found into the alpha osf managers mailing
list archive, I modified the following files:

/var/X11/xdm/Xservers: added a line containing

        apolo:0 foreign

(apolo is the name of my PC, it is NOT an HP workstation :-)

/var/X11/xdm/xdm-config: included the lines

        DisplayManager.authorize: true
        DisplayManager.authName: XDM-AUTHORIZATION-1 MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1
        DisplayManager.setup: /usr/var/X11/xdm/Xsetup_0
        DisplayManager.startup: /usr/var/X11/xdm/GiveConsole
        DisplayManager.reset: /usr/var/X11/xdm/TakeConsole

To the members o alpha-osf-managers:

Please do not forward your replies to Xtreme if you do not feel it
usefull (they must have many things to do).
I will post a summary, of course!

Thanks

-----
Carlos A M dos Santos - Analista de Sistemas
Universidade Federal de Pelotas - Centro de Pesquisas Meteorologicas
Pelotas, RS, Brasil - e-mail: ufpelrm_at_eu.ansp.br