Upgrade to DU 4.0 : question and warning

From: Marc Thoelen <Marc.Thoelen_at_luc.ac.be>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 1996 11:15:18 +0200

Dear colleagues,

While upgrading to DU 4.0, we ran into a 'disk space problem'. Although I
had freed up at least 26000 blocks (512 bytes) on the root device before
the upgrade (appendix F2 in the Installation Guide says : at least 24710),
I was asked for another 13 MB during the upgrade. Needless to say that this
wasn't easy on a 64 MB root partition !
Unless someone else has a better explanation, i assume the figure in F2 was
given in 1 K blocks iso 512 bytes ! Very strange also is that the maximum
figure (for all mandatory AND optional subsets) is smaller that the one for
the mandatory subsets only !
DEC thinks there may be something wrong with the fitset program that
calculates the required disk space.
Anyhow, you probably want to double-check this before running into the same
trouble as i did.

We finally 'solved' the problem a.o. by moving /vmunix away from the root
device, thereby freeing up about 7 MB.

Marc

Marc Thoelen
Limburgs Universitair Centrum