csh Resource buffers limitation

From: Surash Natarajan <SURASH_at_omc.otis.utc.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 07:32:00 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,
We are using DU 3.2c and recently we wrote a script that does recursive
processing on the current directory and all its subdirectories. If the
directory structure is small the script run okay, but if the directory
structure is big the script aborts. The problem was traced to the following
statement :-
foreach file ('cat $tmpdir/clean.out')
In this statement, the directory structure and its file names are kept is
the $tmpdir/clean.out file and this script process each line by line from
this file. The problem is when this file contains a large listing of
filenames, it aborts with the following message :-
Too many words from ''.

My question is how can we control the resources that are allocated by the
system to the environment that csh operates in, to our understanding there
is some sort of buffer that stores the input for the "foreach" command and
when this limit is hit the scripts aborts.
Any response will be much appreciated.

Surash Natarajan
OTIS Engineering Center, Penang, Malaysia
surash_at_omc.otis.utc.com