CPU-Exceptions DU3.2C + 2100 5/250 ???

From: Sable - Hendrik Roepcke <alpha_at_jungle.toppoint.de>
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 1996 15:38:50 +0200 (MET DST)

Hello,

i am a newie in this mailing list:

My name is Hendrik Roepcke and I have to administrate
an Alpha-Server 2100 5/250 with 1 GB RAM.

The system is running on DU 3.2C and was bought in
the end of Feb. 96.

Since that time the machine tends to complain in
the binary.errlog:

300. CPU EXCEPTION!

This may occur in msec-range and from each of the
4 CPUs. At the end the disk is filled and the system
often hangs due to space problems.

After a RESET and a "boot" from the firmware level
the mashine hangs with a memory fault and boot to
DU fails. Sometimes even the screen setup is messed
up and some characters on the screen are stripped
across the whole screen.

Digital (Hamburg) is working now for 6 month on
this problem and i now I found this mailing list
and wanted to ask:

Have you ANY hint how to stop this?

Digital tried:

- switching of the cpu 0 and 2 in the slots
  (cpu 0 is a different hardware-series)
- firmware update of cpus, pci-bus, ...
- exchange of the TOY-card
- memory-check with VET and mem-checkers..
- exchange of the BACKPLANE....

ALL OF THIS TRIES WERE NOT SUCESSFULL!!!

please answer me and I will publish a SUMMARY!

Bye

 Dr. Hendrik S. Roepcke